Following through on an earlier warning, "unanimously passed a resolution preventing the committee from partnering with CNN and NBC for debates if they don't drop their Hillary Clinton productions ahead of the 2016 presidential election."
"CNN and NBC have shown clear favoritism, and they won't be hosting a single Republican primary debate," said RNC Chairman Reince Priebus.
As our colleague Frank James has written , "commotion over a pair of movies that haven't even been made proves, if anything, that the Clintons need not lift a finger to inspire a controversy."
The resolution passed Friday, :
"Marked the culmination of weeks of threats from party chairman Reince Priebus, who wrote a letter to NBC and CNN earlier this month deriding the planned films as a 'thinly veiled attempt at putting a thumb on the scale of the 2016 presidential election.'
"CNN is planning a documentary about Clinton's life and career, while NBC's project is a scripted miniseries. Representatives from both networks have said the projects will not color their news coverage of Clinton's potential candidacy."
NBC °µºÚ±¬ÁÏ , Erika Masonhall, "said in a statement earlier this month: 'NBC °µºÚ±¬ÁÏ is completely independent of NBC Entertainment and has no involvement in this project.' "
CNN :
"This documentary will be a non-fiction look at the life of a former First Lady and Secretary of State. The project is in the very early stages of development, months from completion with most of the reporting and the interviewing still to be done. Therefore speculation about the final program is just that. We encouraged all interested parties to wait until the program premieres before judgments are made about it. Unfortunately, the RNC was not willing to do that."
Copyright 2020 NPR. To see more, visit https://www.npr.org.